healthy fiesta wraps with tomato vinaigrette



while the original fiesta wraps are fab, this version is healthier and has even more hearty, filling flavor. (it is actually completely different and i love them both.) this wrap is my version of my favorite wrap from a health food cafe that is now a 15 hour drive from me.
my hub loves this dish and always begs me to make it more often!

healthy fiesta wraps with tomato vinaigrette

an original recipe by rachelle

wheat tortillas, preferably homemade
black beans, cooked
brown rice, cooked
yellow corn
diced tomato
diced onion
diced avocado
diced jicama
shredded cheese
raw sunflower seeds
tomato vinaigrette

layer rice and beans and veggies in the middle of a whole wheat tortilla. top with cheese, raw sunflower seeds and a drizzle of tomato vinaigrette. roll into a large open ended burrito and serve on a plate to be eaten with a knife and fork.

this is how i make this:
  • first i whirl together the tomato vinaigrette in my mini food processor and stick it in the fridge to chill.
  • i start a pot of black beans in my pressure cooker- 45 minutes on high, quick release. (no soaking necessary.)
  • then i start the brown rice in my rice cooker, it takes about the same amount of time as the beans.
  • while the rice and beans are cooking, i pull out a bowlful of frozen corn and thaw it in water to cover.
  • then i make homemade whole wheat tortillas and while the dough rests (30 mins)
  • i chop the tomato, onion, jicama and avocado.
  • i start cooking the tortillas and while the rice and beans cook.
  • when the tortillas and rice and beans are ready, everything else is prepared and ready for assembly.
** this dish is made super easy by using leftover brown rice, leftover black beans or canned black beans, warmed on the stove with a couple of shakes of minced onion and garlic powder. i often plan to make this for lunch the next day after i serve brown rice with dinner.

tomato vinaigrette
an original recipe by rachelle

heaping 1/2 cup tomatoes (3-4 whole canned tomatoes)
2 1/2 Tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon basil

combine in blender or food processor. chill until ready to serve. drizzle over healthy fiesta wraps or serve over green salad.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is totally vegan (except for the cheese) and I'm so going to make it. Thank you, Rachelle! I hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these and loved them! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made them the other night and loved them!!! The part I love the most is no oven! It is hot!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good, and I actually have most of those ingredients already! I found you through Perry's Plate, and I wanted you to know, I tried your chicken lettuce wraps and it was such a success, I posted it on my blog (crediting you of course, and link several times as well). My pictures aren't as good as yours, but here it is:
    http://chiltonkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/asian-chicken-lettuce-wraps.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks a lot like my black bean burritos! We like to put red or green enchilada sauce and cheese on them and cook them so that they are a little crispy on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the cooking tips and recipes you share. Your recipes are such a nice mix of tradition and innovation. What I've tried, I love, and I'm eager to try more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comment on my page! lol. I know what you mean, I have 2 sep DVR's so that we can record two shows at a time on each - that's just how bad it is! lol. This recipe looks so good and I love your blog!!! I grabbed your button and am going to put it up ;)

    ReplyDelete

 

SOMEBODY STOP ME

Meet The Author